The weather's getting better every day, and we're well on our way to a beautiful spring.
This is the perfect time to start looking into planting awesome, organic, and healthy superfoods and herbs in your own yard. Growing your own superfoods offers a ton of benefits. Not only is it cost-effective, you also always know exactly where your food is coming from and exactly how it's been treated.
How To Grow Healthy Superfoods at Home - Preparation Steps
If you've never grown your own food before, there's going to be some prep-work involved. Unfortunately, it's not as easy as sowing seeds and just letting them do their thing.
Step 1 - Determine the Location
The first step toward prepping a home garden full of healthy superfoods is determining where it will be. If you don't have a readily-available garden bed, you may need to create one yourself.
Raised garden beds are pretty easy to build, but you need to be mindful of the materials and soil you use. It's very important to make sure the wood you use hasn't been treated with potentially harmful chemicals that could leech into the soil and affect your food.
Step 2 - How Much Light do You Need?
Next, you'll want to determine how much light your garden will get. Food plants often need a great deal of sunlight to grow properly. You'll want to research planting times for your climate, when to harvest, and how often to water. If you live in an apartment or other rental, you still have growing options! Consider a hanging herb garden, windowsill planters, or a community garden.
Now it's time to determine what you'd like to plant!
The healthy superfoods and herbs you grow are going to be dependent on the time of year, the climate where you live, and your personal bandwidth.
Here are some of our suggestions for springtime planting!
7 Healthy Superfoods You Can Grow at Home
- Garlic – A classic superfood, antibiotic, and antifungal that's also an excellent aromatic. You can cook it into almost everything!
- Blueberries – These little berries are packed with nutrients and antioxidants. Berries can be tricky and require special planting conditions to fruit, so make sure you do your research!
- Summer Squash – These will keep your eyes sharp and your immunity high! Plus, they're delicious and can be cooked dozens of different ways.
- Swiss Chard – Absolutely bursting with nutritious vitamins! It's also a dark leafy green that's full of chlorophyll and folic acid.
- Aloe Vera – You may know this is a great plant for treating burns, but it's also edible!
- Cilantro – A great herb that adds a bright flavor to your food and also helps blood flow.
- Lavender – It smells beautiful and can also be used in calming teas, drinks, and dishes.
These are just a handful of the healthy superfoods you can grow right in your own backyard.
Take your health into your own hands!
Growing your own food gives you a special appreciation of where it all comes from.